About Us

Barrington’s White House began with a vision. To turn our historical and cornerstone mansion on Main Street into the heart of our town. A cultural center for concerts and classes. A meeting place for corporations and non-profits. A warm and welcoming home for community members to host their life’s most special celebrations.

The dream has come true. With the support of our community, Barrington’s White House has been exquisitely restored to become one of the most unique historic event venues in Chicagoland. Elegant. Enchanting. Extraordinary. Come see it for yourself! Attend an upcoming performance or party, or take a tour to plan your own event. Its magic awaits you.

 

 

History

OUR HISTORIC GRAND LADY

Located right downtown at 145 West Main Street (Lake-Cook Road), the house was originally built in 1898. Renovations began in 2014 with painstaking attention to detail, quality and respect for historic significance. The house opened to the public July 4, 2015 to align with the Village of Barrington’s 150th Anniversary celebrations.

Barrington’s White House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has received numerous awards. It won the American Public Works Association (APWA) Lake Branch and Chicago Metro Chapter award for Historic Preservation. It also received the Donald P. Klein Award from the Barrington Area Council of Governments (BACOG) for its meticulous restoration and repurpose of the architecturally significant house as a self-sustaining, cultural resource for the community.

Barrington’s White House is owned and operated by the Village of Barrington, with oversight by an Advisory Board including Mary Smith (Honorary Chair), Linda Hovde (Co-Chair), Dave Nelson (Co-Chair), Karen Darch (Ex Officio), Kim Duchossois, Tom Malia, Jack Schaefer, Harold Rider  and Amy Wickstrom.


John and Julia Robertson Jr. built their new home on Main Street in 1898, forty-three years following the platting of Barrington Village in 1855. This grand residence, an architecturally significant structure, featured all of the conveniences of the day—electricity, central heating and city water.

Both John and Julia Robertson were active socially in the community, known as gracious hosts and leaders in the community. The Robertsons lived in their grand house on Main Street until Julia’s passing in 1917 and John Jr. in 1918.

Following this, the home served in various capacities including as a hospital, single family home, nursing home, and divided office space until the Village of Barrington purchased the property in 2007.


Barrington’s White House was accepted on the National Register of Historic Places. The tireless and creative work of many dedicated people and generous contribution dollars from individuals, community organizations, foundations and businesses, will enable Barrington’s White House to be treasured and enjoyed by generations to come. Click here to read a historical overview of Barrington’s White House.