Barrington’s White House offers outstanding performances and cultural events. Each season, we’ll host some of the most renowned artists and speakers in the world. For ticketing information, see the calendar below.
- Sign-up to be placed on our email list to get a weekly email of events happening at Barrington’s White House and in Barrington!
- If you have questions about events, a cultural programming suggestion, or would like to sponsor an event, please call 224.512.4066 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our 3rd Thursday Art Night Out receptions feature local visual artists and are free and open to the public. If you’d like to be considered, please complete our Artist Application and include samples of your work.
- If you are presenting a program at Barrington’s White House, please fill out the Cultural Event Marketing Form.
- This event has passed.
Courageous Conversations: The Art of Listening
December 11, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Active listening with less judgment and more curiosity, humility and empathy is a skill that takes training and practice. Journalists, therapists and clergy are taught this—how can more of us learn? How might skills of active listening make space for courageous conversations? Join us for the fourth monthly session of A Year of Courageous Conversations at Barrington’s White House, led by guest expert Dr. Nancy Burgoyne.
About Our Guest:
Nancy Burgoyne, Ph.D. is the chief clinical officer and vice president of Clinical Services at the Family Institute at Northwestern University. Dr. Burgoyne is a licensed clinical psychologist and a marriage and family therapist. Dr. Burgoyne is part of the teaching faculty in the Marriage and Family Therapy program in the Center for Applied Psychological and Family Studies, and is a clinical lecturer in the Department of Psychology at Northwestern University. Her clinical interests include: life stage transitions, personal/existential/identity exploration and cultural transition. Dr. Burgoyne has been a behavioral health professional for over 25 years, is an LGB/TQ+ ally and is committed to approaching her work with cultural humility.
- Open to the public, ages 16+
- Limited seating. Advance registration required.
- Tickets: $25 per person
About The Series:
A Year of Courageous Conversations is hosted by Dr. Zina Jacque and Jessica Swoyer Green and produced by Urban Consulate at Barrington’s White House. The series is made possible thanks to generous support from Jessica & Dominic Green, Kim Duchossois, Sue & Rich Padula, Barrington Area Community Foundation, and BMO Wealth Management. To learn more and sign-up for email, visit: CourageousConversations.us